24 November 2009

A Taste of Christmas Vinyl

A Taste of Christmas Vinyl

By Kristin Battestella


Maybe it is a little too early for Christmas. Even a traditional Thanksgiving is subverted with December décor and holiday music. Nevertheless, to combat the early shopping season, I’ve decided to list my collection of Holiday albums. And yes, I mean albums-as in records, lps, vinyl. Dust off the musty box o’ records in the basement and get your collection out of the attic-it’ll melt!

I’ve linked to Amazon Vinyl where available. Some of these sets are well known in CD or digital and download media, but others are out of print and quite the value. You can even buy a few of these gems cheap at thrift shops or Salvation Army and Goodwill stores. Sweet yuletide tunes and doing some good for our fellow man- not bad, my little elves!


A Christmas Album Barbara Streisand

Christmas Hymns George Beverly Shea

The Christmas Song Nat King Cole

Christmas through the Years Readers Digest Collection

Favorite Christmas Carols Voices of Firestone

Great Songs of Christmas Album 2

Great Songs of Christmas Album 3

Great Songs of Christmas Album 6

A Henry Mancini Christmas

Holiday Sing a Long with Mitch

Joyous Christmas Volume 4

The Little Drummer Boy The Abbey Choir

Merry Christmas Bing Crosby

Merry Christmas Johnny Mathis

The Nutcracker Tchaikovsky’s Ballets

O Holy Night Luciano Pavarotti

Seasons Greetings from Perry Como

Silent Night: A Diplomat Christmas Record

Sing We Now of Christmas Harry Simeone Chorale

A Very Merry Christmas Volume 5


So, what’s the value of my collection? By guessing with the online auction prices, my Christmas records alone stand under $200. Not bad considering I’ve not spent $10 for the few I purchased! Every December, I am always tempted to find the rest of those Great Songs of Christmas albums. Then I go to the junk shops and see records I already have and think better of it!


I have more Christian music and inspirational hymns on record, too, but I think I’ll save that list for Easter. ;0)


3 comments:

Kristin Battestella said...

Well...I had to go to a thrift store and of course, I ended up with more Christmas Records, including Albums 4, 7, 8, an 10 of the Greats songs of Christmas series- in addition to Christmas with Kate Smith and Jackie Gleason White Christmas. All this for a whopping $3.

Based on Amazon's marketplace prices, I've most likely topped $200 in the value of my collection!

At the end of the year I'll have to update this list fully, since I'm so close to completing the Great Songs of Christmas collection I'll probably be on the hunt now!

Of course, now I'm really tempted to see if I can also complete the Very Merry Christmas Series, the Firestone Favorites, or the Joyous Christmas sets, but that would be pushing it!

Kristin Battestella said...

Hey folks!

I should update my list again, since my last batch of records brought me one step closer to completing The Great Songs of Christmas series.

I picked up Albums 5 and 9 yesterday, so that leaves Numbero Uno as the last record to complete my collection!

Kristin Battestella said...

Completed The Great Songs of Christmas!!!